Ever since 17-year-old Fred DeLuca made sandwiches for his first customers in a small storefront sandwich shop in 1965, it was clear that SUBWAY® stores would be a new kind of sandwich bar - a sandwich bar without a fryer and where sandwiches were not pre-made, but made to order.
A place where you could see and choose from a variety of ingredients for your sandwich. Over the years, the SUBWAY® brand has always provided better choices to our customers, and as an established nutritional leader in the quick service takeaway industry, the SUBWAY® brand is committed to:
- Offering a variety of products
- Providing detailed and accurate nutrition, diet and healthy lifestyle information
- Improving the nutritional quality of ingredients
- Marketing and promoting choices for both adults & children
What is the SUBWAY® Brand Doing Now?
The SUBWAY® Brand is a partner of the Department of Health's Responsibility Deals and we have endorsed all four of the government's pledges:
- Out of Home Calorie Labelling
- Salt Reduction
- Calorie Reduction
- Non use of Artificial Trans Fat
- Fruit and vegetables
We know how important it is to inform our customers about the calories in their favourite foods and to help them think about the choices they are making - that's why NEW menu boards featuring calorie values are now displayed in all SUBWAY® stores! In fact, we have gone one step further by providing large posters with detailed nutritional information available at point of sale across the range.
We understand the potential positive health impact of lowering the amount of salt the average person consumes. We are committed to reducing the salt levels across our product range, whilst maintaining the quality and great taste of our Subs. We have already made significant progress in reducing salt content across our products:
- In April 2010, we announced an average 33% reduction across our product range.
- And collectively we delivered a further 15% reduction in 2012 on the Food Standards Agency's 2010 targets.
We offer the SUBWAY® Low Fat Range of Subs across our stores in the UK and Ireland.
- All of our nine Low Fat Subs contain less than 3g of fat per 100g, making them a great choice for customers looking for a low fat option.
- The Low Fat Subs are also low in saturated fats - containing less than 1.5g of saturated fats per 100g
- All of our products have been free from partially hydrogenated vegetable fats and oils, and therefore artificial Trans Fats since 2009.
- The Low Fat range of Subs is easily identifiable in-store by a Healthy Heart symbol, showing that our Low Fat Subs are supported by a national heart charity, Heart Research UK. Our goal is to offer a variety of great tasting sandwiches that are lower in calories. As of 2012, none of our core 6" sandwiches exceed 600 calories and at least 67% of our core 6" sandwiches will contain fewer than 400 calories.